I'm not shy about the fact that I use ArcSight at work, though when talking about SIM's and logging, I try not to make it all about them. But this post is all about ArcSight, but also maybe not. Maybe you use another SIM that has this same type of functionality - it wouldn't surprise me if this was standard on most SIM's shipping today.
Anyway, ArcSight has a "Tools" feature that basically allows you to pass the contents of any cell in a table view (ArcSight calls them Active Channels) to an external program. This is unbelievably handy. So here are some of my favorite ArcSight Tools.
1. Cygwin Whois - ArcSight comes with a built-in, java-based whois lookup tool. But for whatever reason, if the address is outside the US, say in an APNIC block, ArcSight just returns the NIC. Cygwin's whois will look up the registrant from the correct NIC.
2. EventID.Net Lookup - Takes a field containing EventLogType:ID ('Device Event Class ID' by default) and passes it to a shell script that launches IE with a properly f0rmatted eventid.net URL:
if [ "$1" = "" ];
then echo "usage: $0 [ArcSight EventLog ID Tag]";
query=`echo $1 | sed 's/\(.*\):\(.*\)/eventid=\2\&source=\1/'`
if [ "$query" = "" ]; then echo "Error in field format";
/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE "http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?$query" &
3. LDAP Server/User Lookup - This is a Perl script that I wrote that takes a server or user name field and searches AD via LDAP for it and returns things like distinguishedName, operatingSystem, description, memberOf, and so on. This runs in Cygwin as well.
4. VHost Live Search - Got this idea from a post to the pen-test mailing list. Sometimes whois and nslookup don't cut it. This is a great way to figure out what vhosts might be present on a given IP address.
5. IP2Asset - On our network, workstation names and asset ID's are the same. So here's a script that takes an IP address, runs nslookup, and then launches Altiris web console to search for the asset.
if [ "$1" = "" ]; then echo "usage: $0 [ip address]";
asset=`nslookup $1 |grep ^Name |sed 's/.*\(it[0-9]*\)\.wks.*/\1/'`
if [ "$asset" = "" ]; then echo "Error resolving address";
/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE "http://altiris_svr/Altiris/NS/Console.aspx?NameMatch='$asset'" &