Friday, June 22, 2007

Malware Season Epilogue

I found something interesting while catching up on my reading. If you've been reading anything malware-related, you already know that MPack is the big deal this week. I was reading Vicente Martinez's paper on MPack (PDF Link) and noticed that it uses JavaScript obfuscation methods very similar to those used by the malware I've been writing about this week.

There were significant differences between what I found and what Vicente describes, so I doubt that what I found was created with MPack. But I do think it's worth watching web traffic for the presence of a JavaScript function named dF(), since it can be tied to malware delivery. So here you go:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET 80 -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"LOCAL Possible obfuscated JavaScript dropper MPack"; content:"<script>"; nocase; content:"unescape"; nocase; content:"|64462827|"; classtype:trojan-activity; sid:9000130; rev:1;)


Added Note: The third string, |64462827| is hex for dF('

No comments: