Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Am I Not In On The Joke?

So I just found Security Mike's Guide to Internet Security.

You have to understand that I respect the hell out of Mike Rothman. Which is why I am choosing to believe that this is an elaborate tongue-in-cheek joke that I'm just not able to extract the punchline from.

This quote in particular has me convinced that this is some sort of hoax:

"You certainly can pay your local Geek to come over and configure your computer and sell you lots of software you have no idea about. Bring your checkbook – it’s going to run you hundreds You can do it yourself of dollars. And you get to pay every year to renew your software as well. Don't forget the Geeks get paid when you buy software as well, so they have an interest in loading you up with stuff you don't need.

It’s not right. So I decided to do something about it."


That something is selling a 6-month website subscription for $37. So either I have just seen the Lone Ranger take a bribe and slap an old lady, or I am still not in on the joke. Mike's selling a book for the mom set on how to secure their own computer? Because paying for McAfee is some sort of injustice?

I teach a course very similar to Mike's book through my employer's corporate training program. If you would like a copy, e-mail me, and I will send you the slide deck. Steal my bullet points. Pass my advice around. I don't want any money. If you feel like giving me credit, that's cool. The people this is really for don't know who I am anyway.

Be free, common sense, be free!

I'll just leave you with this:

"Best of all, there is NO RISK to you. You don’t like Security Mike's Guide? Get your money back. [...] Regardless of the reason, if you are unhappy – I will send your money back. That’s right. If you aren’t happy, you can have your money back. I’ll wish you good luck because Security Mike’s Guide isn’t for everyone. It’s all good."

It conjures images of clowns and ponies and free hot dogs at a used car lot.

1 comment:

Doug Nibbelink said...

I don't get it, but I certainly enjoyed seeing the caricature of Mike on the book cover.

Yes, please send me your powerpoint for home user training.